Saturday, April 26, 2014

Fruit and Nut Scones

I found this recipe over 30 years ago in my local newspaper, believe it or not.  I've tried many other scone recipes over the years, but this one is still my favorite.  There's just nothing like the smell of warm scones coming out of the oven in the morning!

1.  In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups flour, 2 T sugar, 2 t baking powder, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 t salt, and the grated peel of one lemon or an orange.

2.  Then cut in 1 stick of softened butter with a pastry blender.  Mix until it resembles coarse meal.


3.  Add 1 C chopped dried fruit, any kind you like.  I prefer apricots, craisins, dried cherries, figs, dates, dried mangoes, candied ginger...
And add 1 C chopped nuts.  I like walnuts, almonds or pecans.  I usually use a rolling pin to smash the walnuts into small pieces.

4.  Stir in 3/4 C buttermilk.  I always make mine on the spot with 1 T vinegar added to milk and let to curdle.

5.  The dough will be very sticky.  Turn it onto a floured board and press it out to 3/4 to 1 inch thickness, keeping your hands well floured.  Sprinkle more buttermilk and a generous coating of sugar on the top.



6.  Cut scones into baking shapes.  Traditional scones are  wedge shaped, but I prefer them to be small squares.  I use a sharp knife, cut, and transfer them onto a non-stick baking sheet.

7.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes until nicely browned.  You could top these with a thin glaze if you like, or dust them with powdered sugar, but we like them au naturel.  They freeze well and are easy to pack for lunches or snacks.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...