Sunday, July 6, 2014

Make Your Own Notecards


Call me old fashioned, I take that as a compliment.  I think it's nice if a man holds a door for a lady, and I sing along with the national anthem when I hear it!  Even amidst this explosion of digital technology I LOVE to get a letter or card in the mail.  There's nothing like a hand-written paper note with an envelope and a stamp.  An email will never ever come close to snail mail for me!



I write my friends cards and notes often.  I realized a while ago that I had a treasure trove of lovely photos in my magazines that could be used for making notecards.  I subscribe to "Country Living" and "Better Homes and Gardens" because I really enjoy the decorating and cooking ideas.  I also read "Garden Gate" from cover to cover which was a gift from my dear friend.  All these magazines have beautiful photos that can be repurposed.  Old National Geographics are loaded with stunning photographs.



I purchase invitation-sized envelopes from Joanne Fabrics or Staples and cut my own paper to size.  If you're a scrapbooker you probably have card stock that can be cut down to notecard size, slightly smaller than the envelopes. 



Then I use some of the magazine photos and cut them slightly smaller than the front of the notecard.  I'm pretty good at eye-balling the paper, holding it straight and cutting free-hand.  It's not perfect, but then again, neither am I!  I use rubber cement to glue the pictures to the card stock but a glue stick should work just as well.



My husband uses some of these to write notes because he really likes the pictures of antique cupboards, landscapes and bookshelves.  In fact, he encouraged me to write this particular blog when he saw this "batch" of cards on our table!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...