Friday, July 11, 2014

Some Favorite Sun Perennials

I've made so many gardening mistakes.  I seem to learn most landscaping lessons the hard way.  I've planted invasive groundcovers only to spend countless hours digging out roots that tried to eat up my beds.  I've nurtured and watered weeds thinking they were plants.  I've put sun-loving plants in the shade, shade-loving plants in the sun...

But over the years, slowly but surely, I got things just where I want them.  I have some very happy plants now that are getting the right sunlight and are thriving.

I want to encourage any of you who feel like you can't get it right.  Believe me, if I can do it, so can you!  Just take it one spot at a time.  Read the labels on all plants and pay attention to their growth habits, sun requirements, and blooming patterns.

Here are a few of my favorite sun-lovers:


You just can't go wrong with roses.  I love all kinds, bushes, climbers, mini roses and blankets!  My mother's name was Rose, so maybe that's why!  Roses love, love, love the sun and just keep blooming through the heat of July and August.  This climber is near my front porch.  I tie the limbs to the trellis once a year.  I chop off any branches I don't like whenever I feel like it.  There's no "bad" time to trim a rose.  I dead-head this one with my bare hands occasionally.  My "Knock-Out" roses don't need dead-heading and they just keep blooming!


This is a thread-leaf Coreopsis.  It was a small quart-sized plant years ago.  Now it has covered a 6 foot circle area.  I just love the sea of yellow.  It is a low maintenance plant that makes me happy when I see it!


This purple beauty is Veronica.  I love this plant because it stays in a clump, no spreading!  It blooms all summer on long spikes.  In the background you can see another red rose and a purple bee balm.  


This is a pink variety of Veronica.  The bees love these flowers.  The bright blue plant behind it is a dwarf delphinium.


Another favorite is Salvia.  It stays in clump, but it does get BIG!  It will start new plants around itself that you can move to other places.  I've gotten many starters from this beautiful Salvia.  Bees and butterflies are attracted to it.

If you're looking for some great sun-loving plants, try some of these.  You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...