Sunday, July 20, 2014

Some Favorite Shade-Loving Plants

I have several shady spots in my yard, and even more areas that get morning sun and afternoon shade.  That's a perfect place for these shade-loving beauties - Astilbes!!  They thrive next to my garage where they are shaded from the hot afternoon sun.  They grow in a clump and bloom throughout July with lovely spikes of color.

Here are some more in a fuchsia color!

This is called Corydalis.  It loves the shade so I have several of them underneath trees.  It has feathery foliage and delicate yellow flowers that just keep coming all spring and summer.  It seeds itself and spreads so I get more and more plants.

Another favorite is Astrantia.  I love the leaves and the pretty pink flower bursts that bloom throughout the summer.  It loves to be under trees and will slowly reproduce by sending out shoots.

Some other plants in these "morning sun, afternoon shade" spots are hydrangeas, Japanese painted ferns, and campanula.

I hope this gives you some ideas for shady areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...