Friday, July 25, 2014

Take Care of Your Car

This may seem too simple, but I'm a simple gal.  I've always thought it was important to take care of the things I've been given.  

It is a privilege to own a car, no matter how humble.  My husband and I are firm believers in the "good used car."  We bought a new car once, and after that we found out there are always nice used ones out there that are great values.  No matter the age of the car, it feels really good to ride in one that is clean, neat, and well maintained.  

We change the oil regularly according to the manufacturer's recommendations.  And we take care of the basics when our reputable mechanic lets us know of the need.

Now that the weather is finally warm, it's a great excuse to get outside on a nice morning and REALLY clean the car! Pennsylvania winters are very hard on vehicles, so I make it a priority to "de-winter" my car.  Here's my checklist:

1 - Throw out all garbage from seats and floors.
2 - Remove floor carpets and scrub them with soap and water.

3 - Wash the outside and undercarriage really well.  Wash the tires and use some Bug and Tar Remover where it's needed.
4 - Vacuum the inside seats and floors.  If you need to, sprinkle some carpet deodorizer or spray Febreze before you vacuum.  Winter sludge can leave a car smelling funky!
5 - Wipe down all dashboard surfaces, steering wheel, handles, knobs and cup holders.
6 - Polish all mirrors and windows, inside and out.  I just started using a product called "Invisible Glass" and I really like it - no streaks or smudges on the glass!
7 - Touch up any chipped paint spots with touch up paint.
8 - If you have any energy left - wax!  I use NuFinish because it's fast and easy.
Just look at that shine!!

You could pay someone $60 - $100 to do all this for you, or you could take a couple of hours on a beautiful day and do it yourself!!

You'll be so glad you did it...so GO clean your car!!!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. It’s important to take good care of the things we own. This is particularly true for cars, because they're one of the greatest investments one can own. So having it regularly checked is a must, to make sure that you can maximize its use for a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

    Felicia Simmons @ Brandon Auto Repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Maria! It's really important to take good care of the things that we own, especially our cars. After all, they're an achievement that must be supervised and maintained. I believe changing the oil regularly is one great form of maintenance, and I'm glad that you're doing it religiously. In any way, thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best to you!

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!! I try to keep it up. It makes me feel good to drive around in a clean car:)

    ReplyDelete

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...