Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Some Favorite Bushes

When we bought our house in 1997 we inherited overgrown ugly evergreens and rhododendrons that enveloped the first floor of the house.  I didn't know anything about plants or landscaping at that time, but I knew that I didn't like anything growing around our house.  We had a friend cut down all the huge bushes with his chainsaw and paid to have them hauled away.  Eventually we hired a landscaper to make a plan for the front of the house and start making it look nice.  He worked hard to remove all the roots in the ground, cut the curved bed out of the grass, and then plant some nice bushes and small trees.  I saw what he did and thought to myself, "I can do that!"  So began my adventures in gardening...

I started small with plants that get the light they need around our house.  And I made sure that there was room to walk between any plants and the house.

Here's my absolute favorite bush, Potentilla.  It's a slow grower with soft green leaves.  It bursts into bloom in the spring and continues to give some flowers throughout the summer.  I have 3 varieties, buttercup, apple blossom, and mango tango.  
Hydrangeas are my second favorite bush, maybe that's why I have so many of them.  I love the huge snowball blossoms and I even like the green color of the leaves.

This is Festuca.  The variety is called "Elijah Blue."  It has blue spiked leaves and sends out small brushes as it blooms all summer.  It's a slow grower and accents the front of our house nicely.

What are your favorite bushes?

3 comments:

  1. Maria, At the moment I too am struggling with what to plant and where. I am heading over to a local nursery today to try and figure out what to plant. I just purchased the Potentilla and the hydrangea that you have listed. I took pictures of my flower beds so that the landscaper can better direct me. Thank you so much for this article! You are truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! It sounds like you're way ahead of the game. My potentillas get morning sun and afternoon shade. They are thriving. The hydrangeas are on the same side of the house as the potentillas and they do well also. It's always a good idea to ask professionals for their advice. Take it slow and have fun out there!!

      Delete
    2. I am going today to pick out a few goodies! Thanks again for the inspiration!

      Delete

The Blooms Are Here

  "The winter has past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the ...