Thursday, January 16, 2014

Beans and Greens

Here's a simple recipe that we really like.  I got home from work late today and had this dish ready in less than 30 minutes!

If you don't like beans, then you can stop reading here.  I think beans are a great source of protein and pair very nicely with kale.  We first had this at Enrico's Cafe at the Strip District in Pittsburgh.  It was delightful!!

Beans and Greens

3-4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 T olive oil
1 bunch kale, rinsed and chopped
1/2 cup+ chicken stock
1 can white beans drained (great northern, garbanzo, navy)
salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Put the garlic and oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook on medium high heat until golden.  Add a few crushed red pepper flakes now for a heat kick!

Add the kale.  (I rinse it well, then hold the stalk in one hand and with the other hand push the leafy part off onto my cutting board.  A few quick chops with my knife and the whole bunch is ready to cook!)  It will sputter a bit in the oil, just keep turning all the leaves to spread the oil around for a minute.

Add the chicken stock.  I use water and chicken bouillon sometimes as a good substitute.  Cover and let it simmer gently for 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper as you like.

Add beans and heat for 5 more minutes.  Serve with bread, rice, pastina...mmmmmmmm!

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of this one!



2 comments:

  1. Just bought kale and beans to make this very same dish !!
    Cousin Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried other dark greens? I haven't had Swiss Chard since I was a kid, didn't like it then but I need to try it again.

    ReplyDelete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...