Friday, January 10, 2014

Quick Sausage Kale Soup



Rachael Ray hit a sweet note with millions when she proved that it only takes 30 minutes to get a healthy, delicious meal on the table.  Being a working mom forced me to find great ideas for quick meals.  Eating out often is way too expensive and unhealthy, and I'm convinced that a great meal doesn't take long to make.  So here's a great example of a quick and wonderful meal.  It's another one of my favorite soups:

3-4 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage, hot or sweet
1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup of finely chopped cabbage
1 quart chicken stock plus some water
1 can diced tomatoes (optional)
1 bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped loosely
1 can beans, garbanzo, white (your choice)

In a heavy-bottomed large pot brown the garlic in  2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Add the chopped sausage and brown it over medium high heat.  If you get sausage in the casing, just cut it away if you want chunks, or slice the sausage into the size you want in the soup.

When the meat is browned add the onion, carrots, celery and cabbage.  Let the veggies heat through for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock, tomatoes (if you want) and the kale.  If you need more liquid add 1-2 cups of water.  The kale will wilt and reduce in size once it cooks.  Let the kale simmer for 10 minutes in the broth.  Add the beans, salt and pepper to taste, cook for 5-10 more minutes and it's done!

I like to serve this with pastina or rice.  Sometimes I cook lentils to add to this soup.  You really could add any vegetable you like.  Kale is a "super food" and is loaded with vitamins A & C, along with other nutrients.  I hope you enjoy this one, I sure do!

What are some of your favorite quick soups?  Please let me know.

6 comments:

  1. I still remember the first time we had this.......YUM!!! Haven't made it yet, though.....you seem to be the only one able to get Bob to like kale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it, Danni. Don't put too much kale in and see if he likes it! You make so many wonderful dishes. What's your favorite winter warming soup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great hit Maria, thanks for sharing!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, thanks for commenting. Let me know if you add any other ingredients, I love improvising!

      Delete
  4. Just made this soup and the consensus is ..."yummy". I have never cooked with kale before and I feel like a better person, already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Were there any "younguns" in the consensus? I wasn't ever too successful in getting my teens to eat this kind of soup.

      Delete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...