Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I Love Shelves!

After my last post about cluttered counters I got many comments about not having storage space.  It got me thinking about how I dealt with this problem in my house. My game plan has always been to use space to its maximum, that means going vertical!  I really love shelves!!

27 years ago when we bought our first old house I realized quickly that there were hardly any cupboards or closets in the house.  My father-in-law kindly built 3 small sets of shelves in my kitchen and 1 in the bathroom for general storage.  It was a lifesaver!  And the beginning of a long-lasting relationship...

Fast-forward to the present:  I have so many shelves in my house now it's embarrassing, but it helps me to have places to put things.  I must confess I am mystically drawn to any shelving unit I see at a yard sale or antique show.  I automatically start dreaming of what could be put on the shelves.  The first photo is in my office where I needed a way to store all kinds of papers, bills, maps, CDs, books, and newspaper clippings.  I also love baskets, but that's another blog.

This is my basement storage.  Part of this unit I inherited with the house, I just painted it white.  One section I bought at a flea market for $10.  At the time I didn't know what I'd do with it, but then it fit beautifully along the wall and now it is home to all this stuff.

This little beauty is at the bottom of my basement stairs.  I've never had the luxury of a "mud room" so we use this to keep the pile of shoes away from the entrance.
Last but not least, I have 3 small units like this that I found at yard sales for all my fabric, yarn, craft stuff, etc.  None of these cost much, but they give me the option of having a place to organize.  I'm a simple girl, just give me some shelves and I'm happy!

What are your favorite shelves??

6 comments:

  1. I share your love for shelves! I just bought wood and brackets for shelves in our laundry room, hoping it will help organize that space. THanks for your posts, i've been inspired to tackle some clutter that's been bothering me... one small space at a time. Let me know your laundry strategy sometime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go, Jan!! Wood and brackets, just like my father-in-law built for me in our first home! Anything you can put up high and get off the floor is wonderful. We'll talk about laundry soon...

      Delete
  2. I love shelves and we have no storage in our town home. I'm drawn to the ikea expidt units. Right now we have 4, but I have plans in my head for a few more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie! So many people comment that they have inadequate storage in their homes. I know many people who use the Ikea Expedit shelves. They are nice, come in different colors, and you can customize the exact shape with the number of cubicles you need. I'm partial to antique shelves if they can be found, but I like Ikea as well! Let me know how you use them!

      Delete
  3. You inspired us! I lugged a thrift store shelf in from the garage and Lydia and I organized her room. I can see the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Your answer was in your own garage! How many more answers are in there?? Congratulations!!

      Delete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...