Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hospitality

Do you wish you were more hospitable?  Do you know people who are?  I've known plenty of people who excel at welcoming others into their homes, friends who have warm hearts and the ability to love and serve others in their homes.  I'm so thankful for all the dear friends who got me out of the dorms during my college years for a while to share a home-cooked meal with a family.  I'm equally thankful for all the friends who showed me what it meant to give from the heart and reach out to others even when it's inconvenient.

The Bible says that we should "seek to show hospitality" in Romans 12.  What does that mean?

Here's what it doesn't mean:

1 - Your home has to be perfectly clean and organized before you can invite anyone in.
2 - You must serve a 5-course meal modeled after the Food Network stars.
3 - You need to have granite countertops and newly remodeled bathrooms that show all the latest home innovations.

The most precious times I've spent in others' homes have been a result of the sweet spirit of the host.  I've been invited to share a wonderful meal with parents of some of my students.  I've had coffee and great conversation with young mothers who have children running around and laundry piles that they can't get done.  I've had iced tea with animal-loving friends whose dogs show me their affection the only way they know how, licking me and jumping on me, and I love every minute of it!!

There's just something beautiful about sharing some time with friends.  It's not about the atmosphere, it's about the attitude.  So, what are you waiting for?  Especially now during this cold, dark winter season, invite your friends into your home and show some good hospitality.  Pop some popcorn and put in a movie, brew a pot of tea and bake something, or buy a bag of pretzels, but don't wait too long to reach out beyond your walls and let your friends know you care.  You'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully explained and very encouraging, Maria♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilda! I wish we lived closer to each other and could have some tea together. Next time I travel east to see my sister, maybe we can work something out.

      Delete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...