Thursday, January 30, 2014

Let's Roast Some Vegetables

How do you cook your vegetables?  If you've never tried roasting, you should!  It's easy and it's more flavorful than most other cooking methods.  Here's what I do on a regular basis.

First, I cut up cauliflower and broccoli into small florets.  Then I cut up some cabbage into 1-2 inch squares.  I add some sliced carrots and put all this into a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  I also use Rachael Ray's Crispy Baking Sheets, they're wonderful.


Next, I drizzle some olive or canola oil over the veggies and mix well with my hands.  Then I sprinkle sea salt and black pepper over the whole pan.  The vegetables are not swimming in oil, just a light coating is fine.
Sometimes I sprinkle frozen corn on the top, or I add some extra fine green beans (I love Aldi's brand!) before baking.

Bake in a hot 375-400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.  I have a convection oven so I put it at 375 with the fan on.  If you don't have convection, just turn the heat up.

I keep my eye on them and turn them over with a spatula after 10 minutes.  When they are nicely browned, take them out!

Serve as a side dish or as the main event with some rice or pasta.  We sprinkle Romano cheese over the top.  My husband could eat this every night.

I've roasted almost every vegetable you can think of, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes...  Asparagus roasts very quickly, 5-8 minutes.

Let me know if you try them and how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...