Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Good Old Chicken Soup

When it gets cold I love to start making soup!  My favorite crock pot soup is so simple and good for you, I thought it was worth its own post.  Here's the recipe:

1 small frying chicken (4-6 pounds), rinsed, giblets discarded
1 large sweet onion, chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
salt to taste

Put the chicken in the crock pot and fill with water.  Cook it on low all day, 8-10 hours.  Remove the chicken to a platter, split it apart and let it cool.  Pour the chicken stock into a large soup pot.  Add the onion, celery and carrots to the broth and bring it to a boil.  Turn it off and let it sit, the vegetables will cook and not get mushy.  Pull all the meat off the bones and discard the carcass.  Add the meat to the soup and salt to taste.  Serve with rice, pastina, millet, or just plain!

I love this soup and make it regularly all winter long.  I put the chicken in the crock pot before I go to work and when I come home I feel like dinner is almost ready!

I can get a small chicken at Aldi or Walmart for less than $5 and this soup lasts us for days.  There's something wonderful about sipping hot broth and eating wholesome chicken and vegetables inside when the weather outside is frightful.  I hope you enjoy this!

Please comment with your variations and tips for chicken soup!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Danni! How do you make chicken soup? Any variations we should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to make soup this cold winter and I loved it! I made your recipe and just added some homemade egg noodles to it. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Julie!! I'm so glad you tried this simple soup. Egg noodles are wonderful in hot broth. Did you make them yourself??

      Delete
  3. Yes I did! It was alot easier than I had thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Homemade noodles and chicken soup, what a woman!!

      Delete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...