Monday, January 6, 2014

But It Was My Grandmother's!

You are looking at a teapot that my mother had on a shelf next to her kitchen sink for as long as I can remember.  For years I used it to brew tea, then I just looked at it on a shelf for a while.  Now it's in a cupboard where I don't see if often.  But it was my mother's!

I have lots of conversations with people who are conflicted about how to deal with stuff they inherit from beloved family members.  Just how do you measure your devotion to someone you love?  Is it wrong to sell or give away things that belonged to your grandmother?  I know people who had to clean out entire contents of houses when a parent passes away or moves into a smaller house.  These kinds of decisions are difficult and are very personal.

Here's my point, keeping truckloads of items from a dear loved one does not prove devotion.  I believe that truly honoring someone's memory is an attitude, and cannot measured by physical items kept.  My mother passed away when I was newly married and I inherited lots of her things as we cleaned out the house.  I got dishes, pots, kitchen gadgets, linens, knickknacks, and some jewelry.  All the boxes were piled in my basement for a long time until I realized that my personal tolerance for clutter was very low.  I slowly gave away or sold many of the everyday items that I knew I would never use and didn't want to store.  None of that diminished my gratefulness and love for the woman who nurtured me and loved me with her whole heart.  I think of her more and more often as I grow older and I look forward to the day when I'll see her again in heaven.  The items that I've kept I use regularly, or have places to store them neatly.  I think my mom would like that.

So, if you are being harassed by an attic full of boxes you inherited, or a garage filled with stuff you don't know where to put, wait until you're ready to make honest decisions about what you really want to keep to remember someone, and don't be afraid to give away the rest.  Your heart will be glad in the end!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree Maria! Someone is not honored because you keep all their stuff! The memories are far more precious! Stuff is just stuff. Especially when it stays stored away in boxes and no one ever sees it! Did you ever watch the show "Clean Sweep?" It was on HGTV a long time ago. I loved the organizer guy on there- he always talked about this and he would have someone who kept hundreds of their grandfather's old records or something pick three of them, which he would then get matted and framed to hang on the wall, and get rid of the rest. I thought he had great ideas! I forget whose this quote actually is, but I love it and try to live it out in my home: "Keep nothing that you don't know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much for your comments. I was going to quote Niecy Nash from Clean Sweep! I loved that show. I was doing my own version of Clean Sweep 20 years ago helping friends clean out entire basements, garages, rooms, etc. It is overwhelming to try to hang on to every old item. It was really nice how they would help people to pick out a few nice pieces to remember someone by and then put them somewhere to be seen and honored.

      Delete
  2. Can you come to my house and help me? LOL we keep way too much junk. It's hard for me to let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you still lived down the street!! I'd be over next week. Start small and make a few decisions at a time to thin out your stuff. Baby steps!! Let me know how it's going....

      Delete

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...