Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gifts


I admit that I'm a minimalist when it comes to decorating,  but I have plenty of reminders in my house of all the wonderful friends and family that I have.  I'm not a big fan of knickknacks, but there are many items that I just love to look at, and they will always have a place.

I believe that God sends gifts to us all the time.  Sometimes they are wrapped in paper and ribbon from friends, sometimes it's the steam rising from my tea cup on a cold day.  As Ann Voskamp says in One Thousand Gifts "How we look determines how we live."  Do you see the gifts that God fills your cup with everyday?  We can build a habit of giving thanks for all the gifts around us, small and large.  It surprises me how a small item can spur me to be thankful and help me to see other blessings all around.
I like to remember what's important in life.  I'm a "big picture" kind of person.  So I enjoy looking at reminders of special people.  It can help me to focus my attention on something outside of myself and my own cares.
Sometimes looking at a gift reminds me to pray for blessings on my friends' lives, sometimes it just makes me smile,
sometimes it moves me to write a note to that person just to let them know that I'm thinking about them and that God cares.
Even if you haven't seen those friends for a while, it's easy to pray because God knows where they are and what they need.

So don't apologize for keeping and displaying items that are special gifts from precious family and friends.  And be thankful for those important people in your life.  See the gifts around you every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pepperoni Rolls

  We have been making a LOT of pepperoni rolls! My grandkids love working with the dough and fillings.  It's fun for them to eat somethi...